Monday, March 15, 2010

Can Painting Help Dementia Sufferers?

In a comment on my last blog, Dan said the following:

"I didn't know much about dementia till reading an article on the HuffPost the other day which talked about how creative arts are helping people with diseases like Alzheimer's. So now I am reading a bit more which is how stumbled upon your blog. May they find a cure and treatment soon. oh, here is the link to other article I read:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rosalia-gitau/art-therapy-for-alzheimer_b_495914.html"

Well, I read this article too. It's by Rosalia Gitau, entitled: Art Therapy for Alzheimer's: "I Remember Better When I Paint." Posted March 11th in the Huffington Post, I recommend it as important reading to one and all. Again, there are no panaceas or miracle cures, but every new piece of information helps. Here's an idea that promises to enhance the quality of life for dementia sufferers (and their caregivers).

"I Remember Better When I Paint" is a brief but powerful documentary by Eric Ellena and Berna Huebner, that can be viewed on Gitau's post. The film demonstrates that practicing the creative arts can be an effective technique for cognitive improvement among dementia sufferers.

It's certainly worth further exploration.

Bob Tell
Author
Dementia Diary, A Caregiver's Journal
http://dementia-diary.com

No comments: